A written word for the mental thought

07 July 2011
The Egyptian/ Australian man, who sat next to me during my lunch break in Hyde Park, put it well: writers possess a unique understanding of the world around them. 

The comment came after he asked me about my trip in Australia and before his opinionated yet well- informed scrutiny of American economic and political policy. All during my hesitation as to whether this middle aged man, clad in a tweedy brown suit and matching fedora, was creepily making a move or simply just being friendly. (My guard sprung in full force when he asked me my travel plans; I casually mentioned Melbourne and he readily offered that he was considering getting a plane ticket there too.) I was raised in America and my parents were overprotective- a simple, valid reasoning behind my never resting sketch alert. 

But his comment struck me. 

Save my childhood fantasies of becoming an author (sidelined by my intention of becoming a famous stage actress), I never considered writing as my future path. It was in College Writing, a freshman year, entry level course, that my passion became apparent. The challenge to place written words behind a mental voice entranced me. Relieved, I moved past my quarter life crisis and had finally discovered a plan for my future.

I am an observer, a characteristic I get from my mother. As a child, I accompanied my mother on picnic lunches on mall benches. We’d sit for hours, commenting on the oddities as we watched the flow of human traffic pass by. I do the same nowadays, although usually on my own and without too harsh a thought on the peculiarities in front of me. I just simply enjoy observing.

I love photography and I’m aware of how it influences the manner in which I focus on the canvas of life. But I don’t believe in confined borders, which is where photography, for me, poses a limit. 

The Egyptian/ Australian (how fantastic of a mix!) man’s comment undid the latch on the thoughts couped up within the jumbled drawers of my mind. It’s my stream of observations constantly seeping through the waves of the brain that are in search of a place to go. I’ve realized pen to paper, keyboard to screen, is the solution to applying my analysis of the trickier thoughts of my day to day life, my existence on the planet and the bigger picture of the world.  

I was reading through a friend’s blog last night. She had some fascinating thoughts regarding her abroad experiences, a combination of an account of her journeys and a reflection of her experiences. She too uses her writing to give voice to the complicated feelings. It dawned on me that every one of us possesses the power to write, to document the inner workings of our racing minds. We are all observers of the world around us. We all question the greater meaning of the life we live. 

Maybe he was creepy. Maybe he just wanted to voice his thoughts. Regardless, my Egyptian/ Australian man articulated words well beyond my years. Quite an interesting twist to my Hyde Park lunch experience.

No Response to "A written word for the mental thought"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates