The Jewish, Parisian husband hunt: Jew camp Shabbat, meet Paris.

Tucked within the traditional cafes and boulangeries of the city streets, lies the Jewish life of the city. It's a community whose muted exterior often reflects little of the vibrancy of culture it holds within-- one that is largely hidden as a means of protection, yet as alive, as rich, as beautiful as Jewish communities spread across the globe.

And so it’s here, in an environment tied by commonality of religion in face of barrier of language, that the search for the Jewish, Parisian husband begins.

The Marais, the Jewish quarter of the city, had been the first discovery. But the strip of falafel restaurants laden with men in tzizit and kippot led nowhere in the search for the not-too-ortho kinda-more-on-the- conservative- level Jewish prince charming.

Kabbalat Shabbat at the Sephardic synagogue (a synagogue that I almost missed given its entrance is a plain, gray door in the back corner of an apartment building) could have potentially been a success seeing as AU standards were reversed and I was the sole woman among a room full of men. But the mechitza (physical barrier that separates men and women in hopes of ensuring greater focus on prayer) barring whatever view I would have otherwise had of the men ahead, posed a significant challenge. And so that plan, too, was abandoned.

Which is why a friend and I ventured to Centre Fleg, a Hillel/ Jewish federation- like organization geared to the younger Jewish crowd. The center was hosting a shabbaton for the weekend; 20 euros guaranteed us a spot for a kosher, Shabbat meal.

We arrived at 5.50 the following evening, in time to light candles. Services followed. I made the mistake of sitting in the men's section, oblivious to the mechitza disguised as a bookcase situated in the very back of the room. 

Services were different, an odd blend of prayers, some raced through, others recited together, a few of which were sung to familiar tunes. 

The evening was lovely, the food worth the exuberant 20 euro fee. I melted when chicken on the bone was served for the main course. And then drooled when I was given two pieces.

Five other men, most of whom were religious, sat at my table. I was pleased I was able to carry on conversation completely in French for a good 45 minutes. As for what we talked about? Absolutely no idea, given it's been a week, but I do recall throwing in my two- week stint as a seminary student in Israel after the man opposite me mentioned his two- years of study at a yeshiva in Israel. 

The traditional songs were sung after dinner—the men on the other side of the room, inspired by their newfound confidence so graciously provided by the abundant overflow of wine, led the crowd in the Shabbat tish songs-- tunes that I know from my years at camp. And like at camp, it’s these songs that, for me, transform the room into an atmosphere of spirit, pride and love in the name of Shabbat. 

It’s this feeling I first experienced at sleepaway camp, one that I have since transferred to other areas of life given camp no longer remains a physical part of my summers. But it’s this connection that Judaism fosters that never ceases to amaze me: the love shared in the name of our culture, the common thread that ties Jews together in all parts of the world—it’s powerful. The songs after dinner were the ones I know from camp, the prayers before the meal are the ones I’ve grown up singing with my family and continue within my Jewish community in college. And while my memories are personal to me, it’s these experiences that bind my connection to this identity I treasure, regardless of where I am in the world.   

I left Shabbat from Centre Fleg on a high note—a high note from having spent my Friday evening in a setting so familiar while in a country so foreign. And as I stepped out from the black gates barring Centre Fleg from public view, I once more became a part of the Parisian evening, an evening that, by initial glance, appears void of Jewish presence. I left satisfied, carrying with me the Jewish life, my personal connection, I'm beginning to develop here in Paris. 

And as for the Jewish, Parisian husband? Well, the search surely takes you to the most interesting of places. 

No Response to "The Jewish, Parisian husband hunt: Jew camp Shabbat, meet Paris."

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates