Couples should know better than to snog on the bank of the Seine

Of course I found the boulangerie selling avocado sandwiches the day after I claimed that French boulangeries don't sell such an option. Because really, out of the ridiculous number of boulangeries I’ve tried, none have ever sold avocado in a baguette. It just must be the world’s little reward for my switching up of the typical, lunch routine.


And so with day two of gorgeous weather, I, with my avocado sandwich in hand, made my way to the bank along the Seine.

View from above of the bank of the Seine in which I was sitting at.
There were a good blend of people around the bank: the tourists aboard the river cruises, arms raised as they took in Notre Dame (situated behind me) through the eye of their camera. There were the locals, legs slung over the ledge feet above the water, taking a drag of an afternoon cigarette as they too basked in the glory of the high temperatures.  And then there was me. I had eaten lunch with some friends, staying to sit on my own as my friends left for class.

I could have sat there for hours, lost in my own thoughts as I watched the world around me. I sat on the side of the Seine that was most crowded, a result of the obvious staircases that branch down from the bridge on my either side. (Not at all unusual given the area around the Seine has hosts of bridges five- minute walks apart from each other.) The staircase on the other side of the bank, in contrast, is tucked halfway between the walkway of the streets above, therefore less of a crowd on that side of the bank.

There was a couple passionately making out on that side. I think they thought no one was watching (ok fine, they weren't thinking at all) but as my side was facing theirs, and we were about a 25:1 ratio of people, we were sort of all facing them. The audience to the afternoon entertainment. They seemed awkward, perched against the wall, she seemingly taller than him. A few people ambled by; none seem bothered by the couple. In fact, among the swarm of onlookers, I'm certain I was the only one perturbed by the public view of what should definitely be private life. I really don't understand why Paris finds excessive PDA at all acceptable.
My mother has suggested I draw. Hmph, reasons I'm a writer not a drawer.

_______________
I spent the remainder of my day at Château de Vincenne, a 14th and 17th century castle to the east of Paris. The chateau didn't do much for me; While the history behind the castle was neat, the architecture was plain and the air was too still- the lack of movement drives me insane.

We found a park after, and following the 15-minute hunt for a bathroom (the French obviously don’t have bladders because otherwise public bathrooms would be by far easier to find), we plopped down on a spot opposite the park’s lake—AU quadding meets French park.
Our view from where we were sitting.

My friends left 30 minute before I did; I used the rest of my time to wander around Vincenne.  The lighting was gorgeous, the setting sun tinting the buildings a soft shade of amber.

The setting sun brings with it the start of Shabbat. And with that I turned to make my way back to the metro. I’d be meeting a friend at Etoile, the stop just in front of the Arc de Triomphe. Which I guess I never mentioned, but it's there I get off for synagogue for my past four Friday nights: the Chabad of Champs Elysées.
 


It's sometimes hard to believe this is actually my life.

Our walk back after Shabbat dinner and services. The chabad is about a three minute walk from the Arc de Triomphe.
Cherry blossoms in Vincenne
St. Chapelle inside of Chateau de Vincenne
Top & bottom: around the area of Vincenne

No Response to "Couples should know better than to snog on the bank of the Seine"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates