School's out

I ended my last day of class with a 3 euro street massage and an 8 euro piƱa colada. And then a walk home through the Jardin du Luxembourg and an evening visit to the gym: so ends my semester as a student abroad.

I mean, minus that I have my French oral exam Friday and my grammar final on Saturday. But exams abroad don’t count so I say today still marks my last day of school.

The plan had been to begin my internship tomorrow. Scratch that, I was supposed to start a few weeks ago. But with scheduling conflicts on both ends, the date, as of yesterday, has moved to June 11. From now until then, I have two finals to breeze through, a trip to London to see my grandparents and five days with no housing to sort out where in the world I plan to be.

I’ll admit, I’m nervous for the summer. Nervous that I’m here alone while my friends return to the states. I’m nervous about feeling alone, the time difference rarely helping in my attempt to keep in contact with home friends as a way of easing the moments I feel the seperation.

But every once in a while, there’s a moment of reassurance that hits. A moment that reminds me, I’m supposed to stay here. As much as I look forward to my eventual return to the states, six months of living in Paris may be my once in a lifetime opportunity and no way do I plan to pass that up.

As for the moments of reassurance…

The first time was about a week ago while making my way trough the metro. I ran into a woman, likely a few years older than I. She needed help figuring out how to get home. I let her have my metro map as I circled the route she needed to take. We walked together, given we were going the same direction. I inquired as to why she was in Paris. She was interning at UNESCO and had moved from Colombia a few days prior. She spoke no French, but her English was fine and before parting ways, we exchanged emails. Drinks, dinner, whatever. I’m always down for social hour.

And then there was my French teacher, hired by my program to tutor us for our upcoming French grammar exam. We got to talking, during our last session together. And it came up that I'd be here for the summer. She gave me her number—we could meet up for lunch, she suggested.

I have no idea how this summer will pan out. Ill be moving homestays, starting a new job, soaking in Paris in a manner different than I have as a student.

I won’t have my group of American friends as comfort, but thank goodness I'll have the familiarity of the city to fall back on. I think spending the summer alone will only encourage me to seek out a new adventure: befriend the stranger, take on a new activity and throw myself into whatever way I can reap the most out of my summer abroad.

It's all going to be ok.

No Response to "School's out"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates