No more flies in my bedroom

The only good thing about this American Airlines flight are the seats' built in pillows. Which are ridiculously comfortable given the plush leather (fine, pleather) melds to shape your head. 

That and the fact I only got two hours of sleep, last night. I've been falling in and out of sleep throughout this nine hour flight. A nine-hour flight that, I should mention, comes without in-flight entertainment.

Right, no personal screens for passengers. And the ones fitted into the airplane ceiling are broken. But what airline offers shared viewing pleasure for a transatlantic flight anyway?

Maybe they'll give us air miles as compensation. Could go back into the save- to- come- back- to- Paris- piggy- bank- of- desperate- miles.

_______________________
I left early this morning-- 5.30 am early. The streets were quiet, the air, warm-- a cool trace to the early morning breeze. I felt as if I were sneaking out—before the bustle of the day began, nagging at every bit of yearning desire I had to stay.

So casual sneak out was probably better.
 

I don’t know how I feel about this trip back. I hate that I've left. I know I had to. There’s a sense of numbness to the emotions that have built up ever since it finally settled that this-- the experience, my summer-- was nearing finish.

It’s better that I’m heading to Miami before my return to D.C. The district is incredible and it wouldn’t be fair to compare it to Paris. As for Miami? Well it loses regardless of whether or not I compare it to Paris. 

I'm looking forward to hugging my 8- year- old brother. I'm looking forward to playing Scrabble with him— aware he'll likely thrash me at first shot.

I wish my window at home didn’t only open upwards and that I could the city noises from my room. And I wish there weren't a netting on the outside of my window—Florida’s solution for blocking the bugs from flying in.


I remember so vividly the first time I found flies in my room in Paris, during the summer; it had been three flies that circled the open space of my room. And I desperately tried swatting them back outside, making a racket as Alexi peered into my room to see what was going on. He joined me in my ridiculous attempt, the two of us waving our arms as we tried getting the flies back out the window. 

Until we both gave up. I eventually came to terms with having flies in my room. Because it wasn’t like I was going to close that window; I loved the sound of the movement below. 

I'm going to miss my mornings. Of buying a baguette from a boulangerie— of walking through Luxembourg and up Rue Vavin on my way to work.

You can walk all of Paris. It's incredible. What a funny idea once it translates to Miami. You'd pass out of dehydration from the hours it would take to walk from A to B. Except A would be our supermarket and B would the movies. Because in South Florida suburbia, there really isn't anywhere else to go.

I'm sad I won’t speak French daily anymore. It's been the most amazing of challenges that's truly left with me a real surge of accomplishment, six months later.

And I'm going to miss the friends. It truly moved me receiving the few texts from my French friends, wishing me well as I folded the page of this Parisian chapter, heading back to the states and stepping back into the life I had left behind. I recall the flood of goodbyes that I had received, the day I had left D.C. I'm lucky to have the friends to say goodbye to—be it D.C., Miami or Paris. I place such value in people—the power of another in enriching an experience and their touch in leaving you connected. I'm grateful for the connections, for the friends, and now, for the memories.

I don't know how good of a plan it is to go back to sleep. There are three hours left of this flight and I don’t want to be jet lagged, come tomorrow.

Tomorrow in Florida. 

No Response to "No more flies in my bedroom"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates