Intern Lunch: Thirsty Thursdays are Worldwide

30 June 2011
At around 12:45, the British intern, who sits two computers down from me, rolls her chair slightly out from our row of three to whisper- yell “Emma, lunch soon?” To which I always reply, “Yes, the moment I finish this article.” Which is always at 1 pm.
 
Intern lunch at 1pm: one of the highlights of my day. We venture upwards, to our office rooftop, a rooftop that glances over the city skyline.
 
A little background on the interns I work with (titled by nationalities to protect their anonymity):
 
London: An absolutely charming, and wonderfully chatty, 30- year- old going through a quarter life change (or crisis, however you wish to look at it. She used to work in Human Resources, decided it wasn’t her calling. Got her internship here in Australia and has plans to return back to school once home in London.) I was shocked to hear her age. It’s not that she looks 30; She’s more of a neutral age look type. London just blends so well with the rest of the interns, communicating so naturally with us, never once placing herself on a pedestal solely based off of her age and obviously years more experience. We spent our first lunch together in Hyde Park… she’s Muslim and I’m Jewish. There’s an indie movie titled Arranged; The movie is about, among other things, the blossoming friendship between two orthodox women: one Jewish, the other Muslim. I felt as if my Hyde Park lunch date with London was Arranged’s secular sequel.
 
Paris: Unknown to her, I am secretly obsessed with Paris. In addition to her extraordinary fashion sense, Paris possesses a heart of pure gold. During our intern lunch today, Paris, mid conversation, exclaimed, “All my friends are beautiful.” To which I joked, “So you’re only friends with beautiful people?” We all laughed good naturedly and Paris gently and honestly responded, “My friends' hearts are beautiful. I don’t even realize, nor does it even matter what they look like.” So if you’re not sold by her incredible Parisian style or her natural kindness, consider the fact that she moved abroad to Australia for the year. To a land in which the language is not her primary tongue. To a work place in which she is expected to speak, read, write and work in English. I truly admire her for it. Paris is convinced I look and act exactly like her friend from home. She showed me the Facebook profile page of this friend (who I would say shares my eye color and hair cut) and turned to one of the employees to ask his opinion. He now calls me Frenchy. I haven’t been called Frenchy since 9th grade French class.
 
Australia: I sit next to Australia. She projects a vibe of “bad girl” on the outside, tough and blunt. Her outward appearance, however, projects nothing about who Australia truly is. Australia is a pleasure to sit next to. She and I had both had a cold the first week at work… she gave me tissues. She has taught me that there really is no way to judge a person by the exterior.
 
New Jersey: Her name (ok her state name) accurately describes her... if you go by the NJ stereotype; Bleached blonde hair (she mentioned she was going to bring her extensions to Australia but changed her mind last minute), asked where she could get her acrylics done in Sydney, is loud, bites her nails and always has a cigarette in hand when she is on break. But as much as she lives up to her name, New Jersey adds such spirit to our intern conversations, her lack of filter over her spoken thoughts always serving a spoon of surprise. 
 
I also work with a boy from my program. He and I are Facebook friends, so writing a blurb about him would just be… well, creepy.
 
I’ve written before, but I love that my internship allows me to gather a first hand look into the nuances of Australian culture. I pick up on local phrases, I write about current events and I have started naturally spelling words with s’s and ou’s.
 
But from my fellow interns, I gain snippets of their cultures, cultures from all around the world. And today marked one of the most important discoveries: Thirsty Thursday exists worldwide.
 
It started with New Jersey claiming that Thursdays are Fridays in college. To which I agreed, having had my Tuesdays and Fridays off for the past year. London then chuckled. It’s always Friday on a Thursday come evening time in England, she said. “Thirsty Thursday!” New Jersey exclaimed. “Ah yes, we have that too,” Paris said. “Us too,” chimed Mexico (an employee, not an intern which is why she didn’t get her own blurb.)
 
Upside down, on the total opposite side of the world, a clash of cultures interacts, discovering that a college fad is in fact a real life activity.  
 
I was reading Travel Chic this morning. It’s a wonderful travel blog, written by a fellow sorority sister. I particularly enjoy her guest blog features, finding myself enthralled by Carol’s post. (READ IT. It’s great.) Carol, who has spent the past semester and summer in Italy, reflects on the idea that in order to appreciate and, in a way, discover your culture, you have to throw yourself into a culture foreign to your natural surroundings. Which she has, in her time abroad.
 
It’s fascinating because I have noticed the exact same, here in Australia. People are fascinated with my American accent, often mimicking my intonation (which is weird because it’s usually my British parents who get the accent attention at home!) and are always glad to assist the moment I, or any fellow American, express confusion. (Australians use coins for dollars. I spent quite a bit of time counting my coins, ensuring I had the proper amount to pay the cashier at the till my first few days here. No one expressed exasperation with my lack of Australian currency knowledge. Really, no huff or puff. Merely a smile and a “It’s probably tough using foreign money,” remark.)
 
I’m also aware of the significant influence American culture has abroad; During my Friday, night Shabbat dinner with my family friend, I was grilled about our TV shows, falling into an avid conversation about How I Met Your Mother. (I felt so ignorant [American stereotype?] as I couldn’t even begin to list anything at all related to Australian pop culture.) The music in Australian clubs is all American music.  The movies in theaters are largely Hollywood films. I Google topics, and it’s usually a .com link that appears. (Australian sites are .com.au.)
 
I never really considered myself as standing out because of my status as an American. I wonder if Paris, if London… if the rest of the interns feel the same way about where they are from.
 
Today, I realize I do stand apart. I am from America and I am proud of my home.  It’s funny it’s taken a trip across the world for me to realize the fact.



(July 10: Blog post was linked to on: Mental Mosaic)

2 Response to Intern Lunch: Thirsty Thursdays are Worldwide

July 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Love the vivid descriptions of all your co-workers! I know what you mean about how living in another country makes you more proud of your heritage. The most patriotic 4th of July I ever spent was while living in Belgium, for instance.

Thanks again for joining in on the Traveler's Show & Tell blog carnival over at Mental Mosaic
http://tinyurl.com/CatPooCoffee

Hope to see you there again soon!
~Tui

Anonymous
July 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM

The only time I've been moved to celebrate St. George's Day was when I was in San Francisco. We went looking for a specific English pub there, but couldn't find it... I think that was the most British I felt in a long time!

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates