360 degrees of the city of Sydney

03 July 2011
I live a double life, reflective of the stark difference between grasping life abroad as a tourist and as an intern. Work by week, explore by weekend: I can safely say that no part of me is ready for weeks, or life really, structured by work (a full time internship really makes you appreciate the abundance of free time available while in college). There is something to say, however, about work only being work from 9- 5:30 each day. My tasks ahead stay at my plastic, white office desk. Come weekend… I’ve forgotten my office responsibilities. My focus instead: exploring Sydney.

My blog also takes a different shape come weekend time; I follow a more here is what I did (greatly assisted by a range of visual components) rather than an analysis and/ or reflection of my week experiences.

Friday
I left work 30 minutes early, giving myself ample time to reach Lindfield, the station in which Mark (my family friend) was picking me up for Shabbat dinner at his wife's parent's home.  Shabbat dinner at the grandparents was everything like Shabbat dinner with Jewish grandparents should be... there's really no other way to put it! After dinner, I returned to Mark’s home, spending time chatting with Sue (his wife) and Laura (their daughter). I finally returned to my apartment at around 11:30. It was wonderful, for the second week in a row, to have the opportunity to participate in the traditional, Shabbat meal. It’s my little connection to home… a factor I truly appreciate.

Saturday
The trains were down, which was really helpful as functional trains would’ve made our commute a tad easier. But there are benefits of living directly over the bus and train station, and that includes simple switch in mode of transport when one falls through.  

So bus it was and off we went to the Sydney Opera House. The Opera House offers $35 tickets to individuals under 30 years of age, a clever way of encouraging youth to come out to the Opera House shows. The six of us bought tickets for Terminus, a three character monologue show. Which incorporates no visual effects (excluding the one spotlight lit on the one person talking at the one time). The story line (which I’m too tired to type out) was interesting… for the part I could focus on; It was sadly a struggle to keep myself awake. But regardless, I am pleased I saw a show inside of the Opera House. Even if it wasn’t my type of show. And that it almost put me to sleep. 


The boys left our group to go prep for their evening at the Sydney Olympics Stadium for a soccer game. The remaining four of us girls strolled along Circular Quay, stopping for a quick snack and then continuing our journey.

Next stop: Sydney (City Centre) Tower: the tallest point in the city of Sydney. Tickets to the observatory are $35 whereas entrance to the revolving bar (which is a few floors below the observatory and still offers a wonderful view) has free admission. Although you are expected to purchase a drink. And $18 later, that I did. Sweet Southern NZ Something… 
Top & bottom: The view from the tower.


The group of us in the bar.
It was fascinating watching the sun set from the tower… being able to pinpoint landmarks 360 degrees across the city. And to eventually loose your bearings among the sea of lights as the sun sunk into its evening slumber.  It was 6pm by the time we left; the sun had long set, evident with the drop in the weather temperature outdoors. Our group had once again dwindled… now down to three of us as one had returned home.

An interlude to explain the three of us: It was just me, Katie and Keli left… Katie and Keli live on the 10th floor along with the two boys on our program. The rest of us live on the 8th floor, so I don’t see the 10th floor inhabitants quite as often.  (Well, minus the boy that I work with.) Spending the evening with Katie and Keli proved phenomenal… It was the first time I’ve really spent time with just the two of them. The pair of them are completely normal, very down to earth and just absolutely, wonderful girls. I truly enjoyed being in their company.

We proceeded to Darling Harbour where we ate dinner at an exquisite Italian restaurant overlooking the water. (I had gnocchi… I began my obsession with gnocchi probably some time in January.  I’m obsessed.) Dinner was fantastic and the check wasn’t too horrific. Thank goodness.

The three of us strolled along the harbour, biding our time before 8.30pm. Because it was at 8:30pm that the real highlight of the evening was to begin. A small store sold gelato. Chocolate truffle’s called my name… there was no way I was turning down that call. Gelato in hand, Katie, Keli and I sat on the harbour steps. Anxiously awaiting. And then a BOOM. Our gaze followed the spark upwards. It was 8:30 pm. The fireworks had begun.

An array of colors sizzled as they lit up the night sky. I really don’t know to describe it (on top of that, I’m exhausted and too tired to be creative in coming up with an accurate, picturesque description). I haven’t seen fireworks in years, as I am usually at camp for the 4th of July. The experience was just breathtaking. I left the evening with a feeling of pure satisfaction. Saturday was a great day.



Sunday
I met Mark, Sue and Laura at Lindfield station at 9:30 am. Which means I woke up at 7:45 am. Good reason for being drained now.

The family took me to a Koala Park, where I watched (and helped!) sheer a sheep, in addition to seeing a range of animals, including koalas and kangaroos. Sue packed us a picnic lunch to eat at the park. We concluded our afternoon with a stop at the Lindfield gelato shop.

I returned home at around 3:30, had 30 minutes to rest and then headed back out. Back out… to church. YES! I went to church with two of my friends, and WOW was it an incredible experience! I’m leaving my description of the experience, however, for another post when I have energy to accurately paint a picture of the evening. It really deserves it, so waving that doggy bone to encourage you to follow up on a future post!  

Back from church and off I went to Coles, the grocery store in the mall opposite my apartment building. (Coles is the main grocery store here… food prices are ridiculously expensive but sticking to Coles’s brand food helps lower your final total.) The bagboy at the register asked me if I were Jewish, obviously noticing the kosher chicken in my cart. Turned out he was Jewish too… it was perfect closure for my day.

Work tomorrow. Wow… two weeks over, another five weeks left in Australia. These two weeks have flown by…. This summer, in fact, has flown by. Life kind of seems to fly by as you get older… scary. But a constant reminder to seize each moment, making the most of every opportunity brought your way.



1 Response to 360 degrees of the city of Sydney

Hallie
July 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM

gelato and gnocchi? aka my typical day. just come to rome already :) (beautifully written as always)

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates