No AP Style here


24 June 2011
I’m beginning to hit the control button rather than the option key on my Mac. Damn my 9- 5.30 work PC.

Until yesterday, I’ve had loads of spare time at work. My supervisor hasn’t, and still hasn’t, given me deadlines on any projects. But she also hasn’t really been all that specific regarding my assignments. It’s been up to me to choose which articles I wish to write, choosing them off of the company’s client spreadsheet. Oh, and cat articles. I’m halfway through editing cat articles. I’ll move on to dog articles after. I know… exciting.

I received an email from my supervisor yesterday morning, asking me to write a (as she labeled it) “special” article. The piece covered Try A Trade, a hands on, skills road show that tours high schools across New South Wales. Try a Trade features eight unique booths, manned by professional trade representatives. Two to three students visit the booth at time, allowing for sufficient time to interact with the trade rep and carry out a skills task related to the job. (At the hairdresser station, for example, students shave a beard or color/ style hair.)

Did you know Australia has a shortage of skill workers? And that Australia is the same size as the US but has about the same population as NY (and the majority of Australia’s population live along the coast)? In attempt to combat the shortage of trade professionals, Australia seeks to recruit individuals from the UK to fill in the empty slots.

Which is where Try a Trade comes in. It’s a brilliant way of presenting an alternative to non- “uni” bound students while attempting to recruit prospective future trade workers. It’s a positive for both sides really.

While at work, I keep a separate Word document open to jot down thoughts to include in a later post. I get out of work at 5:30; I had planned to ex out of the cat docs at 5 to update my blog.

Well 5 came and went and no blog post from me. Reasons:
A)  got engrossed with these kitty cats… and caught up with the songs playing on my iPod. (It's perfectly acceptable to listen to your iPod while at work here. Yesterday was my first day trying it…  adds a little personal touch (playlist: Gesher ’07, the playlist I had made for my grandmother and country music) to my workday, while actually helping me focus. I loved it!
B)   I was asked to put together a photo/ video/ text slideshow for a client. I swear, my name was written all ova’ that.

So yes, blogging at work didn’t quite run according to plan. (Not that I’m bothered by it. I honestly had such a fantastic day yesterday!)

But I do want to post my thoughts.. I wouldn’t say they necessarily flow, so buddy header and bullet point are gonna come in quite handy. Here goes…

Proof of Entrance at Sydney Clubs
Stamps before entering a club is nothing new... we have them in DC. Palm downwards and BAM goes the (washable) stamp on the back of your hand. There are stamps here too. But nope, not in the same location.

Here, it’s a greenish- black tattoo like stamp on the inside of your wrist.

Um, the same location that the Nazis tattooed serial numbers onto innocent Jews and prisoners.

Great. Holocaust thoughts while entering the club. Such a killjoy. And it’s definitely what I want to keep thinking about a few days later when no matter how tough you might scrub at the stamp etched across you wrist, it just won’t budge. 


AP Style is a foreign concept in Sydney
The writing in Sydney, or at least the writing I’m editing, is horrific. I asked my supervisor day one, if Australia follows AP Style rules (the rigid rules we, as future Journalism professionals, abide by). My Writing for Mass Comm teacher might have fainted had she seen my supervisor's puzzled look. Australians write as they please here, following no rules and ignoring all attempts at being concise, clear and direct.

I copied a few of the lines from the cat articles I’ve been editing:
  • “Obesity in cats is a growing problem, especially in a society that is also facing an epidemic of the overweight.”
  • “Also don’t listen to stories about cats that are never found.  This will not help, only make your more sad and scared.”

Reading over these articles is doing a lot for raising my morale regarding my own writing skills.

Sydney Lingo
Part of what makes working in Sydney, and I’m sure any other foreign country, so fascinating is that you pick up on the nuances of the culture by actually working in the culture. After reviewing my first article, my supervisor pointed out that my spelling was wrong. Down under, it’s colour not color. And s’s not z’s. Whoops.

Words are also different.
  • Washroom: bathroom
  • Moggy: cat (Oh, please... just ask me how many synonyms I now know for the word “cat.”)
  • Solarium: tanning bed

Phrases and responses:
  • You say: “Thank you.”  They respond: “It’s ok.”
  • Cheers: Used for everything. Just tag on to any sentence.

Intonation here is also unique in that many Australians end their sentences in a higher pitch. As if constantly asking a question. Maybe that’s what makes them sound so friendly. No harsh statements out of these Aussies. Just questions. Cheers!

Cat Facts
(Thanks cat articles.)
  • Ernest Hemingway’s cat, Snowball, had six toes. Snowball’s offspring roam around the Keys and are taken care of by representatives from the Hemingway museum. (It was a part of his will for them to do so.)
  • Cat’s ingest grass which apart from causing them to vom, helps dislodge hairballs.

What I’ve Learned from my Internship So Far
I’ve spent my week writing articles on tanning and on relationship advice. I swear, ask me anything about spray tanning and I’m on it. But besides my newfound bronze bod knowledge and my tips on how to keep your relationship strong, the job has actually reassured me of my passion for writing and how right of a choice it was to major in Journalism. The job also reminds how little I enjoy sitting in front of a computer screen all day (well, unless its mine and the page is open to Facebook. That’s a total different story.)

It’s remarkable. So many of us begin college unsure regarding our course of study. We’re always assured not to worry, it all works out. Life aligns, you decide.

But to be a struggling freshman wavering between Psychology and quarterlife crisis, words of reassurance about some hazy future does anything but assuage you. Um, ok mister pin stripe suit. How do you really know that I’ll figure out what I want to do once my four years are over?

I’m a rising junior now; I look back on my two years of college and smile. (And then freak because the prospect of school coming anywhere close to ending causes extreme heart palpitations.) But it’s a knowing smile, how yes, it really did all work out. I did find my passion and transfer that to a major. And finally… finally there is proof that I chose to follow the right path.

No Response to "No AP Style here"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates