Too far away for something like this to be real

21 June 2011
I’ve mentioned previously that it’s my first summer not returning to Ramah Darom, my sleepaway camp and home for the summer. Old news.

It was yesterday evening that I heard. A friend from camp imed me, in fact. It’s awful that these days, social media seems to be the norm to find out that someone has died.

A boy drowned at camp Sunday morning. He was on a rafting trip. The same rafting trip I did my last year at camp. The same rafting trip my brother did last year for his Gesher year. And the same rafting trip some of my friends who are counselors, were on this Sunday.

Camp holds a special place within me. It’s where I developed my connection to Judaism. It’s where I learned to find me, where I met my best friends, where I met my first love. It’s where I spent my Gesher summer (my last summer as a camper) squeezed into a twin bed with my two best friends. It’s where I mommyed 80 nine year old girls for my two years as a counselor. Camp is a happy place. Camp is a safe place. Minus the swine breakout two years ago. And the bear last year. But we overcame those obstacles. It’s Ramah Darom. Parent’s kiss their children goodbye, never dreaming the kiss could be the last one.

Except for this boy; The first boy who has ever died at Ramah Darom. I feel the pain of his family, the pain of his friends, the pain of his counselors, the agony of our camp director who had to make the call. And the parents who picked up the phone on the other line.

What’s scary is that I can imagine  the boat capsizing. The campers swimming ashore only to find that their friend's body hadn’t made it. Searching for the body and lifting their unconscious friend out of the water. I can imagine it because I’ve been there. With my Gesher aidah. The same location, the same trip. What’s scary is that I know his counselors, the ones in charge of the trip, in charge of thinking on their feet when they discovered one of their boys had drowned.

We have staff week for a week before campers take over the grounds. Staff week was a few extra days this year. I had joked with my best friend that a longer staff week was excellent. Gave her more time to find that special hill time partner.

But no where in staff week are you taught what to do if your camper dies. Because it’s sleepaway camp. It’s magical as a kid. And an escape from reality as a counselor. Freak accidents don’t happen at sleepaway camp.

And now here I am, across the world. So removed from camp physically, yet connected by heart of emotion.

My mother had sent me an email this morning. I can sense her anxiety, her worry at having her sole daughter so far from home. I now have a greater understanding of where this motherly instinct stems from.

I want to send my children to camp. I want my children to explore, to travel, to see the world, leaving my protective arms. But I never want to get that call that the boy’s parents received Sunday morning.

I am in shock and for the first summer, I’m not in the community that’s bound together, grieving and attempting to heal. Part of me wants to be there. The rest of me knows I obviously can’t. But it also wouldn’t make a difference.

Life is weird. Life is short. Life is scary. I don’t know what to think.

No Response to "Too far away for something like this to be real"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates