My boss ate alpaca... and other weekend adventures


17 July 2011
Another weekend, gone and passed. But unlike the rest, this one brings with it a mix of emotions… It’s our last weekend as a group in Sydney; We’ll be spending next weekend in Cairns and the weekend after that, my group will be on a flight headed across the world, destination: home. I, on the other hand, will be spending a night at my family friend’s home before my week trek across Australia.

I’m writing this sitting at Max Brenner’s Chocolate Bar (sitting at the window seat to be exact… obviously), a café style restaurant featuring everything chocolate. The one I’m at is in the mall’s food court, just below the movie theater. It’s the first place we came after dropping off our belongings on our first day in Sydney. It was our first breakfast, a breakfast I ate with the nine other program participants, all strangers at the time. Four weeks later, here I am again at the café of heaven.

Friday
My sixth sense presented itself in full force Friday: I didn’t pack lunch for work. No reason behind it, just didn’t feel like doing so. Figured I could come back to the apartment during my lunch break (work is only two train stops away from where I live) or splurge on a Thai lunch. (Asian food is apparently fantastic in Australia. I have yet, however, to testify the claim.) Regardless, neither plan (home or Thai lunch) was put into action. Half my co-workers were out sick, leaving only seven of us present. And so, as a little treat, our boss decided to take us out for lunch. Such luck! After discovering the bar she had in mind for lunch was full, we ventured over to a lovely Italian restaurant. And a plate of gnocchi later and a conversation about how my boss ate alpaca in Peru and how some woman chopped off her husband’s private parts, I was sufficiently full.

My family friends went out of town this weekend, giving me a free Shabbat to organize for myself. It was perfect, in its own way, as it gave me the opportunity to try out Kabbalat Shabbat services at the Central Synagogue, a fifteen minute walk from my apartment. Services were interesting… the shul is divided with men sitting in the seats below and women in the upper balcony, the orthodox style of separation among the sexes. (The purpose being to encourage full focus on the prayer rather than the stud sitting a few rows down. Except, from where I sat, the range of beautiful Jewish boys on the first level were clearly visible. I guess the separation just meant I couldn’t start conversation with my potential future husbands sitting just below. Oy.) As is the case in most synagogue services, more men were present than women. Interestingly, the attendees ranged from, what I assume were, conservative/ traditional to orthodox (men in black hats and untamed beards and women wearing their sheitels [for those that follow the orthodox tenants, women are required to cover their hair unless within the private confines of their own home. Or around other women. Simply, a woman’s hair is reserved for her husband.]. An all male choir, along with the Rabbi, led the service. I’m not a fan of choirs in synagogue settings, although the melody of their voices does add a beautiful touch to the tunes of the songs. I just find that a choir kills the beauty of audience participation, in a way making it so that audience participation isn’t as necessary for the flow of the service. Kabbalat Shabbat services are my favorite… There was no way I was going to pass up an opportunity to sing along, although I did sense I was one of the only females doing so.

I met up with Katie and Keli for dinner at Bondi Pizza & Bar, an incredible Italian restaurant located in the mall (in fact, opposite the Max Brenner’s I’m sitting in right now). Australians don’t believe in fast food (for the most part, although you do find your occasional McDonald’s and Hungry Jack’s [Australian form of Burger King]. But pizza isn’t a food court order- it’s a sit down meal. So European of Australia!) I cleared my plate clean… for both my margherita pizza (with an added topping of kalamata olives) and our shared dessert (brownies rolled in some intricate form of dough and sugar dosed in nutella and vanilla ice cream).

We met up with the boys after dinner (to complete our family) and headed towards Town Hall. Out for drinks… it’s become my new favorite activity. It’s the most wonderful thing being able to go out for a glass of wine. And happy hour in Australia lasts until well into the night on weekends. It’s great.

Katie, Keli and I left early… 11.30? Oh, it was bedtime.

The family (minus Keli) out for drinks during the week.
Saturday
The morning began with an early date with the gym. I hadn’t been all week… my reunion with the elliptical had never felt so good. Keli had decided to get her tattoo that Saturday morning. Katie and I accompanied Keli, acting as the loyal sidekicks and fan photographers. The tattoo parlor was near the beach… we walked around the shops for a little while we waited for Keli’s appointment.

I spent the afternoon with my roommate, Marissa, at Paddington Market, a crafts market only open on Saturdays and located in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Sydney. A fortune teller (or hand reader… not sure of the official title) stopped me while at the market, rambling on as to why she was a better and more qualified hand reader (oh, and apparently government accredited) than the other “bastards” (her words, not mine!) reading hands. I got stuck in the conversation for a few minutes, but was finally able to fit in a “Sorry, I have no money” remark, thankfully causing the elderly woman to retreat. Probably in search of another innocent passerby to yap off to. After Paddington Market, Marissa and I walked over and spent some time in Centennial Park. It always strikes me to find a large park in the middle of a lively city. I grew up in Florida where the beach is as close as you get to a park. Which, I say, probably explains my fascination. But still… peace and quiet among skyscrapers and bustle. It’s phenomenal.

Centennial Park
After returning from Paddington, I dropped my camera off in my apartment and met up with Katie, Doug and Erika for drinks at the Sydney Tower. I ordered a Pineapple Vodlka this time… only $8 unlike the $18 mixed drink I had ordered the last time I was in the bar.

As per usual, Katie, Keli and I ventured to Darling Harbour for our 8:30 pm gelato and fireworks ritual. It was slightly emotional given that it would be the last firework show we would see over the harbor (we’ll be out of town next weekend and the program will be finished the weekend following).

Sunday
The family (Katie, Keli, Alex, Doug and I) took a trip to the Sydney Olympic Stadium for the rugby game: Australia (Quantas Wallabies) v. Samoa.   The game was on a two hour time limit- perfect as I lost my focus after an hour… turned to food (chips [french fries] and A MAGNUM ICE CREAM [my token of Israel in ice cream form]) instead. Keli and I went to the mall after the game for a little Max Brenner’s date and a Cole’s grocery shopping trip. 


I’m nervous to enter my fifth week in Sydney; It means I only have two weeks left on my program, a program I finally feel comfortable on in a location I’ve at last become adjusted to. I always have, and still do, recommended an abroad experience for all, but a summer experience only leaves you with a taste of a life abroad. It’s a six-week peek into what should be a semester long stay. Six weeks only provides a glimpse into a foreign culture, a different way of life. I would say, however, that you grasp a better concept of the differences in culture as a six week intern than as a six week student. As an intern, you’re ingrained in everyday work life… the real life of a real citizen.

But whatever the case, it saddens me to see my program slowly nearing the end. I’ve got three weeks left in Australia, two weeks left in Sydney. It's scary how fast time goes by...

The view outside my window once I got home. Stunning.

 

No Response to "My boss ate alpaca... and other weekend adventures"

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates