On the present challenge of being abroad or An Open Letter to Tiger Airways

No experience can ever be smooth sailing; the personal bumps in the road are inevitable, although typically unreported. The frustration within, however, negates the need to conceal and so blogosphere, here is where I proceed to spill.


On Tiger Airways deciding to go on indefinite strike
I once paid $50 at a cheap hair salon to have my hair dyed; I had brought a picture of the beautiful red- auburn highlights my stylist at home had previously given me (before the color unfortunately faded as red dye naturally does) as a guide for the new stylist to copy. $50 later, I left Cleveland Park’s Bubbles hair salon with a G-d awful cut (although fabulous bangs) and dark, red- black hair. The wannabe rocker look by no means complemented my washed out, pasty pale complexion. Anyway, the experience taught me that you get what you pay for; if I want good hair, then the $200 bill I had to pay at the supped up salon to get my hair fixed was what I was going to have to do to achieve my desired results.

Well, I really, really, REALLY should have applied the same concept when it came to booking my flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne. 

I had been tirelessly researching ways to extend my trip to travel across Australia on a college budget, only to reach a dead end with each click of my keyboard mouse. Which is why two weeks into my trip, I woefully slumped down in the travel agency’s gray, speckled chair, laid the cards and my $800 budget on the table and donning the appearance of a dejected hush puppy, peered into the eyes of my travel agent in hope that he would solve my mega life problem. 

He did, and $600something dollars later I had a trip planned to Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and Melbourne. The only catch was that I would have to book my own flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne, seeing as Tiger Airways was the least expensive option and his company (smartly) has no connection with the airline. 

Tiger Airways is the cheapest airlines in Australia, although has a reputation for randomly canceling their flights without compensation for their passengers. My trip from Alice Springs to Melbourne was $122 (which for Australia is DIRT cheap; in comparison, Quantas, the only other airline I can find that flies out of Alice Springs, offers $400 flight tickets.); a flight that saves me about $300? Oh, no way I was going to miss out on that. Well, so I thought. 

If I didn’t want red- black hair, I shouldn’t have trusted a $50 dye job. If I didn’t want an airline that is on strike/ temporarily shut down for serious safety concerns, I shouldn’t have gone for the $122 Tiger Airways plane ticket. The airline has canceled all of their July flights; my flight is booked for August 3rd. Tiger Airways, conveniently, won’t alert the public about their decision as to whether or not to resume flights until August 1st. Well, really Tiger Airways... how wonderful. I mean, seeing that I’ll be in Ayers Rock with NO internet until August 3rd, which you know, is when I would be taking the flight anyway. Sure, I can get my parents to monitor the flight for me, but should I need to purchase a new flight, not only with the ticket cost a hell of a lot extra, but the ticket will also be that much more expensive as I’d be leaving it to the last minute. Oh, and other people will have canceled flights too, which means that perhaps the flight I need to get to Melbourne might be booked. Geez, thanks for being so thoughtful Tiger. 

I haven’t changed flights as of yet. Rather, I emailed a rant to father dearest who suggested I contact my travel agent. Which I just did. So part 2 of the saga, yet to come.

(The morning did come with a hint of a surprise, however. It’s been my summer goal to get published on Thought Catalog, and five submissions later (in addition to my Harry Potter post that almost got published, however I responded to the email too late thanks to the challenge of the 15 hour time difference) my goal has finally been achieved! You can take a look at it here. I probably should have added more history to it but womp- I’m happy it made it to the site!)

1 Response to On the present challenge of being abroad or An Open Letter to Tiger Airways

July 20, 2011 at 12:28 AM

I wrote a bit of a "love letter" to Tiger on my blog a couple months ago after they cancelled our flight to Melbourne (2 hours after it was supposed to take off) on Easter weekend. I hate to be a pessimist, but based on my experience, I would expect nothing but the worst from Tiger.

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates