Part two of yesterday's dilemma: solved. Take that, Tiger.

21 July 2011
If I’ve learned anything my past two years in college, is that life really does have its weird way of working itself out, filling in the missing gaps within the jumble of unpaved paths. Patience, I’ve learned, is key.

Well, the gods of the world must have taken pity on the stricken girl frantically awaiting word regarding her Tiger Airways flight. You know, potential cancellation, definite refund and then subsequent guidance concerning the consequent purchase on the pricier Quantas airlines.

But like I said, patience is key and it appeared that this time, the gods of the world were on my side. I finished my day’s assignments at 4:45 yesterday afternoon. By 4:46 I was back on the hunt for a solution. I just so happened to look up flight tickets, just so happening to notice Quantas’s Red E- Deal, a deal that had not been listed the night prior and a deal that was listed for $289. A sharp contrast from last night’s regular Quantas tickets priced at $469. And for the added cherry on top: The Quantas flight leaves a mere five minutes after my Tiger flight was scheduled to depart. Ultimately, Tiger Airways's unfortunate move only cost me about 5 minutes less in Melbourne and $160 extra out of my bank account. It could have been so much worse... I have never been more grateful that I was patient, letting life, once again, work itself out. 

From my desk seat in my company’s office space, I can make out a faint outline of the Sydney skyscrapers blanketed by the opaque, gray downpour that’s been watering the city since I awoke early this morning. I’m thankful that in 14 hours I’ll be headed on a vacation from my vacation; a vacation to the land of sun, warm temperatures (I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED FOR 70 DEGREE WEATHER. On top of being upside down, the seasons here are also, for non- Australians atleast, backwards; Here, winter is in June and July) and oh, right... one of the world’s seven natural wonders. Cairns, Australia/ The Great Barrier Reef: here I come.

Our flight leaves Sydney at 6 am tomorrow morning. The shuttle we’ve requested will pick us up from our building at 4:20. Which probably means that I should:
a) either go to sleep insanely early this evening... possibly dosing up on Benadryl because my body hasn’t been programmed to fall asleep at 8 pm since my elementary school years or

b) just not go to sleep. Like, that’s what the three hour flight is for, right?
Seven of us from my program are headed to Cairns. We’ll be staying in the Caravella hostile (which probably as the name does for you, means nothing to me yet) and I’ll be sharing a room with Katie and Keli. We have a snorkelling trip along the Great Barrier Reef booked for Saturday and a rainforest exploration tour for Sunday. We have the Friday we get there and our last Monday before returning to Sydney free (the flight back to Sydney is set for Monday evening).

Plan from now to 4:20 tomorrow morning:

a) Make it through my last two hours of work. I finished all my assignments at 10:30 this morning. And I’m sure if I asked for more work, I’d be asked to continue editing the cat articles. Which I, obviously, have no desire to do.

b) Pack four days into one duffel bag. Man, the world is truly pushing this whole packing lightly task.

c) Laundry. That should probably come before packing, seeing as all my clothes are currently sitting in the dirty clothing pile.

d) Grocery shop. The fridge is currently void of Emma supplies, so a trip to Coles, the local supermarket with prices that would make any American college student faint, is in order for my after work plans. This, however, won’t be a major grocery run, seeing as I will have four days left in my apartment once I return from Cairns.

e) Lay off my knee. I (more like, my $3 Old Navy flip flops) injured my ankle on my June NY trip and have since had issues with the ankle. I woke up with an aching knee this morning, the knee on the same side as said ankle. Possible explanations:
    • My body is beginning to fall apart. I am nearing my 20th birthday... Bubbie Emma already? 
    • I’ve been to the gym three times this week (in attempt to appreciate the bikini bod for my trip to Cairns. Shh... you’d do it too.) Maybe the elliptical is preventing my ankle from healing and therefore shooting pains at my undeserving knee in attempt to gain my attention. Well, my knee hurts when I walk, in addition to climbing stairs (have I mentioned that I have to climb three flights of stairs to reach the loft my company works out of?) and bending my knee (try sitting at a work chair all day without bending your knee... it’s uncomfortable). Well attention achieved as I’ve decided to cancel today’s date with the gym. Way to interfere with my gym relationship, ankle/ knee. 

    • Along the same lines as the gym... maybe it’s my gym shoes. They say to change your gym shoes at least once a year. Um, I’m nearing year five of wearing my Nikes. Ugh, so many new things I need to buy.

Readers, I leave you all with a promise for a Cairns and Great Barrier Reef adventure update once I return to Sydney.

It’s 3:30 pm here: two hours left of work. Maybe I will give the cat articles a try. (HA, who am I kidding?)


No Response to "Part two of yesterday's dilemma: solved. Take that, Tiger."

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Labels

100th blog post 762 curves Alice Springs Alipura Amsterdam Anne Frank House Art Fair attractions August vacation Australia Ayers rock Ayuttahaya backpacker backpacking bamboo rafting Bangkok Bangkok hospital of Phuket Barcelona Bastille Day beaches beggars Berlin Berlin Wall Blue Mountains blue shoes Bondi Beach bucket list camp Cathedrale Notre- Dame cemetery Chabad Chabad Champs Elysees Chabad of Bangkok Charles Bridge Chartres Chartres Chathedral Chateau de Vincenne Chiang Mai Chiang Saen chicken thigh Christo Claude Francois Cloclo Cold War Cultural differences Czech Republic day trek day trip DC travel definition Dengue Fever developing connection East Side Gallery Eiffel Tower light show elephant ride elephant trek England Festival Fnac Live Florence FOAM Museum Fragonard France French culture French friends French presidential inauguration GAdventures Germany ghats Giambologna Giverny Golden Triangle graduation graduation travel Grand Temple guesthouse hairdresser Hales St. Pierre Hall of Opium heritage Hinduism Holocaust homestay hundred step staircase identity India internship introduction Israel Italy Jardin de Tuilleries Jardin du Luxembourg Jeanne- Claude Jewish Quarter Jewish travel Jubilee Judaism Khao San Road King Solomon restaurant ko phi phi koi samui kosher Krabi La Defense La Grande Arche Lesser Town Lido life thrill London Louis XIV Louvre Mae Salong Marmottan Monet Melbourne metro Milan Munich Murano Nazi Germany New York City northern Thailand Oktoberfest Old Town Orchha Overnight train Pai Palazzo Grassi Palermo Parc Montsouris Paris Paris Statue of Liberty Paris summer sales Passover seder people watching Peru Petrin Tower Photography Phuket Piazza San Marco post-graduation Prague Prague castle President Francois Hollande publication Ram Raja Rape of the Sabine Woman Ray Caesar returning abroad Rome Rouen San Spirito school Seine Shabbat Shavuot Siam capital Siam capital city solo travel Spring break St. Chapelle studies study abroad study abroad program summer friends Sydney Thailand Thailand elephant Thailand historic capital Thailand hospital Thais The Pont Neuf Wrapped thrill of life Tiger Airways time off from work toilet Tordi Sagar Tour de France transportation travel travel alone travel blog travel essay Trocadero tuk tuk USA TODAY College Varanasi Venetian Jewish Ghetto Venice Versailles Versailles Light and Sound show Vincenne white water rafting Yoga Jardin du Luxembourg Yom Kippur in Berlin zip line

All Rights Reserved © 2011 The Girl with the Traveling Blue Shoes All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates